Sunday, December 12, 2010

Just a couple of fyi items . . .



We planted some crookneck squash in this summer's garden, like the above. It's a hard winter squash. I don't have a picture of zucchini, but we had some zucchini plants, also, in the same box and got a fairly decent crop (we never get the zucchini bonanzas you hear about). But the last zucchini has been on our counter for about 6 weeks now and I was surprised it wasn't going soft and rotten. I decided to shred it (in our new cusinart that saved the day for Thanksgiving), freeze it, and use it for zucchini bread, later. This is what I found when I opened it (the top two pics)--and it much harder to cut than zucchini usually is. I think our last zucchini cross-pollinated with the harder winter crookneck squash. It smelled a lot like pumpkin when I shredded it, but that will work, too.

Just thought that was kind of interesting :).

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Not sure I understand completely how you found that "in" the squash, but that is interesting. Kind of crazy, even.