Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside

This is one of the cute songs of the season--obviously not strictly Christmas music, but when the temperatures drop, it seems appropriate. With our single digit temperatures last week, this song got lots of radio time.

There are so many versions of this, now, but I remembered what I think is the first time this song was done. It was by Red Skelton and an actress I don't know in a movie I've never seen called "Neptune's Daughter." And actually, this version is a reprise of an earlier scene when it's done by Ricardo Montalban and Esther Williams (she was a famous swimmer/actress who must be the title character). But apparently, the Red Skelton scene stole the show. You are too young to know about him, maybe, but he was a comedian who had his own show for a long time. He was known for being so clean in his humor. He publicly discussed his belief that humor should be clean and wholesome. Maureen Tedesco, one of our Vegas neighbors, worked ticket sales for some of the big name acts that came through one of the hotels and I asked her once what celebrities she had met and how they seemed. She said the kindest, nicest of them all was probably Red Skelton.

Anyway, enjoy.


5 comments:

adam said...

that's amazing. skelton is the one who said texas is beautiful. it's miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. driving through it once we saw a tree. one tree standing all by itself. my dog rubbed his eyes—he thought it was a mirage.

Bethany said...

I've never seen that movie or heard that version, but we've got the Dean Martin version. Love that song!

eden said...

that's fun.

i have the dean martin version too (not the one with martina mcbride).

i just got a michael buble, anne murray version that's not bad.

my favorite version was one i saw credited to bing crosby and doris day but i'm not positive it was them...

good song!

eden said...

i think i just found my favorite version - margaret whiting and johnny mercer. it's a good one.

faith said...

I like this song. And I like what they've done with it. Pretty cute. Maybe I'll Netflix the movie. I'll let you all know if it's any good.

"Neptune's Daughter," by the way, won the Best Song Academy Award for "Baby, It's Cold Outside."